Monday, June 29, 2015

What it means to be "Kikay"

Pronunciation:  Brit. /ˈkiːkʌɪ, U.S. /ˈkiˌkaɪPhilippine English /ˈkikaj/
Etymology:  < Tagalog kikay, apparently a specific use of the female forename Kikay, hypocoristic form of names ending in -ca (e.g. Francisca).(Show Less)
Philippine English.
A. n.       A flirtatious girl or woman. Also: a girl or woman interested in beauty products and fashion.
B. adj.  Belonging to or characteristic of a kikay. 
Of a girl or woman: interested in beauty products and fashion; stylishly feminine.

__________________________________

As an homage to the inclusion of this Filipino word into the Oxford English Dictionary, I would like to explain the essence of being Kikay in my life; what it means to me. 

As a woman I've experienced time and time again that before the men in the room will even listen to what I have to say, I would have to look good. Nothing too flashy or vulgar;but I know I have to be well put together. For someone who considers herself a late bloomer, in my early 20s I didn't realize the power that I could wield on people around me if I just took the effort to dress well; to look polished with the right hairstyle and make-up. That when I look good, I am also treated better. 

I learned over the years that my strong personality (and opinions!) turn people off and I needed to soften my persona and though I cannot control people's perception of me, I should be able to use all the available weapons within my arsenal, such clothes and make-up so that they will see me in a different light. 

In time, though, the sharp edges of my personality have softened and I no longer need to try that, hard; I have come to love fashion and make-up, and consider them an outlet of my creativity. A form of self-expression; an art in itself. 

Coco Chanel said it best when she said, and I quote : 
"I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little, if only out of politeness.
And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. 
And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny."

It also reminds me of this character in Liz Gilbert's book, Eat, Pray, Love, Armenia, a glamorous, Brazilian journalist who used to work for the United Nations High Commissioner on Refugees. And she explained very well what it means to be a Brazilian Woman. She explained, "Well, I always tried to look nice and be feminine even in the war zones and refugee camps of Central America. Even in the worst tragedies and crisis there's no reason to add to everyone's misery by looking miserable yourself. That's my philosophy. This is why I always wore make-up and jewelry into the jungle--nothing too extravagant, but maybe just a nice gold bracelet, and some earrings, a little lipstick, good perfume. Just enough to show that I still have my self-respect". 

Stylish      - Check !
Feminine - Check !
Art             - Check !
Self Expression - Check !
Self-Respect - Check !

For a five-letter work, Kikay does pack a punch. So,  what does the essence of being Kikay mean to you ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment